2007-11-08

Adrenaline Rush

I hate confrontations. My husband would tell you otherwise, I’m sure, but I do. I don’t like the anticipation. My anxiety gets me so worked up because during a confrontation there are so many unknowns. I have no idea how the other person will react, so I can’t plan for their reaction. Or how I should react. It’s nerve wracking and I’ll stew about it for a good long while before saying anything. (As long as it’s not in the heat of the moment. I don’t have time to work myself up to a froth if I get mad and explode instantly).

However, I always shake…planned or unplanned.

You know when you come out of the theaters on a cold blustery winter night at midnight, and you’ve left your coat in the car so you don’t have to deal with it inside where it’s nice and warm. But by the time you get to the car you are shaking right down into your spine?

I shake like that during confrontations.

And for about 15 minutes afterwards.

Then after that comes the adrenaline rush.

I do like the adrenaline rush. That rush that makes you feel like you are moving at a mile a minute. I need to find other things that can give me that adrenaline rush. That does NOT involve heights or jumping from perfectly good airplanes.

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, is this about Zachary's teacher? Or just confrontations in general? I'm not very good at them myself, and like you I feel quite nervous beforehand. You hit the nail on the head - you don't know how the other person is going to react or respond, which is the worst bit. I guess it's good knowing that 9 times out of 10 things turn out better than expected ... but it still doesn't take away those nerves!

Lisa said...

Actually we had some issues at work last night and I had that adrenaline rush going.

However, now that you mention it Hannah, I have parent/teacher conferences today for Zachary. Crap. Now I'm starting to get nervous. :(

Matt said...

You could try racing two uncontrollable horses with Western saddles around a field.

Ranni said...

That's me only I don't get the adrenaline rush. I do shake sometimes though. I don't like confrontations so it's odd that it's something I'm good with. I wish it were the other way round though sometimes.

Author said...

I don't get the shakes - too many confrontations with Richard programmed me not to show anything.

the adrenaline though, I can totally relate to.

My answer - a cigarette (or two), which doesn't help you....

maybe being able to let out a primal scream or two after helps also. releases the spare energy.

Archive

 

The Insider | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates